One of the most dangerous pesticides has been found in drinking water, a new study reveals.
Scientists say neonicotinoids, which attack cells in the human nervous system, have been spotted in taps across the US.
The class of insecticides is one of the most commonly used across the country, branded as being safer than other chemicals on the market.
But chronic exposure to the pesticide has been linked in damage to the central nervous system that could result in paralysis or even death.
One of the most dangerous pesticides, neonicotinoids, has been found in drinking water, a new study reveals. Chronic exposure to the insecticide has been linked to damage to the central nervous system that could result in paralysis or even death
Neonicotinoids, most of which were released in the 1990s, were designed to be the most environmentally-friendly chemicals on the market and soon became the most widely used, especially in the Midwest.
The compounds don’t just coat leaves and stems but work their way into plant tissue, meaning fewer sprays are needed.
But the neonics, as they are nicknamed, became reputable for being something else – a bee killer, wreaking havoc on insect nervous systems.
Past research has suggested that chronic exposure to the compounds can cause developmental or neurological problems in humans too.
A 2016 study suggested a link between neonicotinoid use and the drop in the bee population that was foraging on the crops treated with the pesticide…..more here